Important information for the upcoming registration period will be provided here. Please be sure to check back regularly for any important registration updates.
Please contact our office if you are unable to find the information you seek.
Information on Taking an Extra Course
For Fall 2020, if you wish to take an “extra” course, Providence College allows students to do so for no additional tuition on a “seat-available” basis. For more information regarding maximum credit per major, please refer to the Maximum Credit Registration Guide.
If you are interested in registering for an extra course, you can do so on CyberFriar starting on Friday, August 7th at 9:00 AM.
Important considerations include:
- Students must be in good academic standing to take an extra course.
Undergraduate students must spend at least eight semesters in full-time attendance, unless the period is reduced by advanced standing credit from another institution as reviewed and approved by the dean of undergraduate and graduate studies. The College reserves the right, for extraordinary reasons, to allow graduation at the completion of seven semesters following the successful petition by students to the Committee on Academic Status. Students may also petition the Committee on Academic Status to be allowed to accelerate their degree program, through summer and/or winter session work (usually through the Providence College School of Continuing Education); such petitions must be received by the Dean of Undergraduate and Graduate Studies by the end of their sophomore year. Appeals of the decisions of the Committee on Academic Status should be presented to the Provost and Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs, whose decisions will be final.
- Extra course registration is allowed on a seat-available basis; however, if a course is closed a student needs to receive consent from the course instructor and department chair to add the course using a Course Adjustment Form, please return the completed form: in person at the Office of the Registrar, Harkins Hall 310.
- School of Continuing Education Courses (SCE) Extra Course Approval: Only junior and senior level students may register for SCE courses. Registration priority for SCE courses is given to SCE students. SCE “Distance Learning” and “Term” courses cannot be taken as extra courses. If a student does register for a distance learning or term course or if they have not received permission from their Class Dean to register for a second SCE course, they will be automatically dropped from the course by the Office of the Registrar. Space availability in the SCE is determined after the first week of classes and only after the SCE Dean makes over-enrollment decisions for students taking the normal course-load. No student will be registered in an SCE course after it has met twice. Because of these constraints and this timeline, we strongly recommend that you pursue extra course options in the day school rather than in SCE courses.
- The last day for CyberFriar registration adjustments is Tuesday, January, 21st, 2020. Students looking to register for courses after that point must follow the course registration timeline outlined in the Academic Calendar.
- Extra course registrations submitted during the “late adjustment period” are subject to a late fee of $150.00.