Main Logo for Providence College
Site Home> Veterans Information > Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

How long do I have to use my GI Bill benefits?

Once you have separated from the service, you have 10 years to use all of your benefits under the Montgomery GI Bill and 15 years to use your Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits. Although separating from the service “starts the clock” on your 10-year time limit, you should know that if you rejoin active-duty service for more than 90 days during the 10 year period, your 10-year clock is reset. In other words, you get 10 years from your last discharge.

Are VA Educational Benefits Taxable?

No. Any veterans’ benefits paid under any law administered by the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) should not be reported as income to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). You will not receive a W-2 from the VA.

What is transferable?

This is determined by the Department of Defense. The service member must have at least six years of service and commit to an additional four years of service in order to transfer benefits to a spouse or child.

A family member must be enrolled in the Defense Eligibility Enrollment Reporting System (DEERS) at the time of transfer to receive transferred educational benefits.

What is the Deployment & Readmission Policy?

Under the Higher Education Opportunity Act of 2008, a student who is called to active duty in the United States Armed Forces, the National Guard or Reserve for a period of more than 30 days is entitled to re-enroll in the same program, with the same enrollment status, number of credits and academic standing as when they were last in attendance at Providence College.

Readmission is allowed provided the student meets the following requirements:

  • The cumulative length of the students’ absences from the college, because of service on active duty, does not exceed five years (which may be extended in certain cases, as provided by statute);
  • The student notifies the college upon completion of service that he or she intends to re-enroll at the college; and
  • The student has not been discharged from the Armed Forces with a dishonorable or bad-conduct discharge.

How do I alert Providence College that I wish to use my VA Benefits?

When you register as a Providence College School of Continuing Education or Graduate student, please indicate you are to receive VA Benefits by checking the appropriate box on the registration form. If you are a day school student, please notify the Office of the Registrar.

When is enrollment verification done?

Enrollment verification is done after the second week of school. You may expect to receive your first check approximately two months after the semester begins. If you decide to drop or add a course, please let the Office of the Registrar know since the College needs to notify the Veterans Administration as to when your credit load has changed.