Main Logo for Providence College
Site Home> Veterans Information > Getting Started with Your Veterans Benefits

Getting Started with Your Veterans Benefits

STEP 1: Determine your Benefits
You may be eligible for more than one of the programs below. For help in determining which application you should submit, contact the VA office at 888-442-4551. If you do not want to apply for your educational benefits online, ask for an application to be mailed to you.

Programs under the Post 9/11 GI Bill include:
Those with service-connected disabilities may be eligible for Chapter 31 Vocation Rehabilitation and Employment
Chapter 35 Survivors’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance
Chapter 33 Post 9/11 Transfer of Education Benefits for Dependents
Montgomery GI Bill: Active Duty (MGIB-AD) Chapter 30 Veterans and Active Duty Personnel
Montgomery GI Bill: Selected Reserve (MGIB-SR) Chapter 1606 Active Military Reservists
Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP) Chapter 1607 Reservists Activated after 9-11-2001
For additional information on applying for benefits and transferability, refer to Applying for GI Benefits.

STEP 2: Determine your Tuition Reimbursement
Tuition Reimbursement | Educational Assistance Allowance Tuition Reimbursement – Rate Tables

STEP 3: Activate your Benefits
Complete the following steps:
Have the following information available: your DD214(s) form and have your bank routing number (if you want to set up direct deposit for payment).
Apply for benefits through the Veterans On-Line Application (VONAPP): select “I am a new VONAPP user,” then “Create new VONAPP account.”
Complete the Educational Benefits application: VA Form 22-1990 Enter your information.
Print a copy of your completed application and write down your confirmation number.
You should receive your “Certificate of Eligibility” (COE) indicating your entitlement, within 4-10 weeks. You can still register at PC while waiting for your COE.

STEP 4: Apply for Admission and Financial Aid
Apply for admission to the Undergraduate Day School, the School of Continuing Education, or to a Graduate Program.
Be sure to answer “YES” to the question, “Are you eligible for Veteran Benefits?”
File the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online or call 1-800-4-FED-AID to schedule an appointment.
PC’s FAFSA code is 0003406.
Request official transcripts from the following sources:
JST Joint Services Transcript
DSST Scores (if applicable)

Have your transcripts sent to the Office of Admission at:
Providence College
Office of Admission
Harkins Hall 103
1 Cunningham Square
Providence, RI 02918

STEP 5: Enrollment and Certification of Benefits
Bring a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility to Providence College’s VA Certifying Official in the Office of the Registrar, Harkins Hall 310.
After you receive your Certificate of Eligibility and your attendance at Providence College has been confirmed, your VA Certifying Official will confirm your enrollment with the VA.
At least 30 days prior to the start of your first term, notify your VA Certifying Official and your Providence College Certifying Official, that you will be using your VA educational benefits.

STEP 6: Extend Benefits or Change Programs
If you have used VA education benefits at another institution, complete VA22-1995 to indicate the change in schools.
If you elect to convert to the Post-9/11 GI Bill in lieu of your previous benefits program, you can apply using the VA22-1990.
Both of these forms can be submitted electronically to the Department of Veterans Affairs.

STEP 7: Verification and Payment Process
Depending on which VA program you qualify for, your benefits may be paid either directly to you or to Providence College.

You may be required to verify your attendance with the VA at the end of each month.

Chapter 33 and Chapter 35 are not required to verify their monthly attendance.
Chapters 30, 1606, 1607 must verify their attendance every month, Chapters 30, 1606, 1607 (does not apply to Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits). Monthly verification can be completed online through WAVE or by phone at 877-823-2378.
Chapters 30, 1606, and 1607 pay tuition and fees upfront.
Chapter 33 (Post 911 GI Bill) must notify the school of their Chapter 33 status. They will only bill you if you have a percentage that needs to be covered.

IMPORTANT: Contact Providence College’s VA Certifying Official immediately if there are any changes in your enrollment status, including adding courses, dropping courses, withdrawing or receiving incomplete grades so you will not incur personal charges.

If you have any questions or concerns regarding the enrollment or verification process, please contact one of our VA Certifying Officials: Donna Barricelli 401-865-2367 or Donna Cairo 401-865-2982 You are also welcome to visit us in the Office of the Registrar, Harkins Hall 310.